Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Reflections

I was looking at my brother's e-Christmas card. It's a picture of my two nephews, ages 4 and 3, sitting on Santa's lap. They will be expecting my neice's arrival, in February 2009 (no need to remind you the same month as the due date of my first pregnancy). (Also no need to remind you that my brother is 1.5 years younger than me and unmarried to the mother of his children. They are in a stable relationship thankfully). It obviously goes, without saying, that my brother and his girlfriend have had no problems having children. You should also know that they are both working class citizens (hey nothing's wrong with that, I'm not knocking it at all). They do not have college degrees and are scraping by. My brother works two jobs to help make ends meet. They squeeze themselves in a tiny two bedroom cottage they rent. Obviously, my soon-to-be niece will be sharing their bedroom and the boys will get their own room. They are blessed because our grandparents, yes, the boys' great grandparents, are retired, and are able to care for the little ones when my brother and his girlfriend work. Our mother helps out too, but she has not yet retired and is doing what she can. Overall, we have a great family, so the children go without want. Sadly however, my brother and his girlfriend do not have much time off together. Their "big" family vacation consists of a short trip to a neighboring island. And that's it.

I share all of this because as I was sitting here, looking at their christmas card picture, I wondered - are they satisfied with their lives? Are they happy? I hope so. They have two and a half darling children, but work their butts off just to live. Here, DH and I live in a fairly lavish 3 bedroom townhome, and have two empty rooms. (No, we dont live on the same island as my brother, so are not able to allow them some free board). DH and I have these plush jobs, and can take exotic trips yearly. However, we do not have what we so dearly want -- children. Can you tell me, which sibling has it better? I do not know....nor would I ever want to actually compare myself to my brother. We both have our blessings, though in different ways. I just wanted to share it with the blog world....it may look like I have it all, but my brother, has what I want. Good for him.

My turn will come next year!!!! As my Bible teacher told me today, I must "speak to that mountain.!" So here I go: "Self, you will get pregnant with a healthy beautiful baby next year, and you will give birth to that healthy beautiful baby by the end of 2009. Uterus and body, you will be healthy and perfect for this little baby, and you will not give me any complications. So, it shall be, as God has promised."

2 comments:

  1. Hey Breanne! It's Adriana from WTE. I love your reflection.. I think God works in mysterious ways, but his answers are ALWAYS the right ones!
    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have looked around and wondered the same things. Hubby & I lead a life a lot of people would be envious of yet we don't have our heart's desire - children to share it all with.

    I have big hopes for 2009 . . .

    ReplyDelete