Tuesday, November 24, 2009

38 weeks

I'm 38 weeks 2 days today. I just had my PNA and sadly, I'm just 1 cm dilated and very little, if at all, effacement. I saw Nurse Wonderful again today and she said she thinks I'm going to give birth close to (or after) my due date. =( I'm surprised at how devastated I am by this news. I think part of it is because a friend of mine, who was due just 4 days prior to me, just gave birth on Sunday. (Her water broke a little, so they started her on pitocin). That gave me hope that my time would come soon...but she was dilated for 2 cm for a while already. I just started dilating, and the way Nurse Wonderful said it, it sounded like I was 1 cm at best. =(

The good news is I gained back the 5 lbs I lost over the past few weeks. So I've been given the green light to be able to exercise again. not sure what kind of exercise I'll be doing, but probably lotsa walking and of course - s.e.x. - as DH and I try to speed this little guy's arrival along.

I also now know what a contraction feels like because when NP Wonderful was in there, she massaged the cervix a little to try to get it to soften/open up. The cramping that I felt during this was what she said I could expect to feel when I have contractions. I now know that the BH that I though I was having were not BH, but instead just baby boy, sticking his body out, making my tummy feel hard. that explains why I'm not very dilated at this point despite the "BH" I thought I'd been having daily. lol. Ah well, at least now I know.

So how am I feeling at 38 weeks? Heavy and sore and uncomfortable. Walking hurts. Moving my right leg at all, hurts (even to put on clothes, get out of bed, standing up from a sitting position, everything!) My feet are tired. My body feels tired. My brain feels tired. I think a lot of this has to do with not only being 38 and a half weeks pregnant, but also the heavy work load I've been enduring for the past 3 weeks, coupled with the house in escrow and all the paperwork and deadlines I'm having to go through associated with that, plus having a part-time DH (since he's gone 3-4 days of the week) and also living with my MIL. It's just too much for me.

I know, I'm throwing myself a pity party. I'll perk up b/c my mom comes into town tomorrow night until Sunday night! Yippee!! (Not sure how this is going to work with MIL visiting since we only have one guest bed. I have a feeling MIL will stay with other relatives while my mom is in town...but I haven't exactly spoken with her about it.)

And last, but certainly not least - here's my 38 week belly photo:

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I forgot to measure myself!!! Not to worry, I'll probably have a 39 week belly photo to measure myself with. Ok, pity party B MoM over and out!

7 comments:

  1. sorry to hear that things haven't progressed much.....but knowing what you are looking for in terms of contractions is a start :) I have no idea LOL. praying that baby boy decides to arrive by his due date at the latest!! can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh yes, you feel the way I do!! My mother keeps saying, "this too shall pass."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sweetie,

    I can understand how you are feeling. Although I am only 28 weeks I already feel heavy and sore at times. I can only imagine what you are feeling right now.
    You have so much on your plate. Can you take a day or two off work (ie sick leave?). You are much more important than your job!
    Hang in there! I guess the good news is that your due date is just over one week away. You will be meeting your little boy so soon (even if it is a bit later than you hoped).
    Hugs.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just catching up! So glad all is well after the scares at the hospital. Just consider them practice I guess. You look great!

    Be sure to eat your heart out tomorrow. Your little one will arrive very soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awh!!

    Many hugs to you. Your LO is just so comfy there inside of you...he doesn't want to come out. I am hoping that my belly be as cute as yours at 38 weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well kiddo I do not have one tiny ounce of pity for your pregnant butt. I would trade places with you in a moment!

    I know it's hard, those last two weeks. With my son I was due on April 1st and I didn't have him until May 1st. And my first son, my sister and I were four days apart for our due dates... well she had her daughter on MY due date and I had to be induced two weeks later! I was depressed and miserable those last few weeks, especially with her sporting new new baby girl, and me still exceptionally huge and pregnant.

    I know it's hard to hear, but your little boy needs every day inside you, and when the time is right, your body will tell you! Meanwhile, try to enjoy these last few weeks, you WILL miss being pregnant once you are seperated from that little life.

    (hugs) You can get through this! Soon you'll have your precious baby there to make you forget EVERY bit of discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes - 38 weeks is big and awkward and uncomfortable. The good news is, once Kaua is here you will be back to yourself in no time! Despite the middle of the night feedings and lack of sleep, I was shocked at how quickly my energy came back.

    You are still looking great and Dec 6 will be here in no time!

    ReplyDelete