Sunday, August 16, 2009

We've reached VIABILITY!

Yup, this is another big milestone in the pregnancy timeline. But one that while I'm ecstatic we reached, does not allow me any sighs of relief. At 24 weeks pregnant, we've reached viability (baby boy has a decent chance of surviving outside of the womb with intensive care at this point), but baby boy still has a significant amount of time more to grow and if he did come now, he would face the potential for severe complications. So baby boy, stay in my belleh and continue to cook. I wont breath any sighs of releif probably till after we hit 36-37 weeks. That's when in my mind, he'll be full term and can come out. That's 12 more weeks away, or 3 months!

So in my mind, I want to say I'v completed 6 months of pregnancy (24 weeks divided by 4 = 6 months), but because months are not exactly 4 weeks long, according to most websites, I dont complete 6 months of pregnancy until the 27th week (3 more weeks away). I feel like I'm too big for 5 months of pregnancy, but I guess I'm just not quite yet there to 6 months. Oh well, I'll be 5 and a half months pregnant I guess.

And here's this weeks belleh picture, where I'm now 38 inches in circumference:
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Oh and in the movement department, on Thursday and Friday, it was the first time since I started feeling significant movement where the firecracker's movements decreased significantly. To the point where I wasn't even sure I felt him. I got nervous and even mentioned it to the hubsters on friday afternoon. DH was cute, he tried talking to my belleh in order to get him to move for daddy --- no such luck (huh, our son is disobeying his parents already!). According to Dr. Google, its common at this stage of pregnancy for movement to be sporadic, periods of high activity and periods of low activity. I read that some moms on message boards chalk this up to growth spurts in their babies. When baby is not as active, they notice that their bellies get bigger, which could indicate baby is growing. Not sure if that's the case in my book or not...but hey, I'll take it. I started feeling him move again yesterday, last night and a little this morning, but he still hasn't been as active as before. We'll see how it goes. Part of me thinks that he is going through a growth spurt and the next time I feel him move, it'll be movements that feel a lot stronger.

5 comments:

  1. CUTE BELLY! I am telling people I'm 6 months already at 24 weeks! I dont care! Besides...the 3rd trimester is coming up at 25 weeks...so in my book that starts the last 3 months...so 6 months is what I'm sticking with! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on 24 weeks!!! It's so exciting isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is likely slowing a little because he is running out of room!

    Congrats on viability, it is a big deal...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic belleh!

    Congrats on reaching 24 weeks - what a mileston! I remember breathing a huge sigh of relief at this point.

    ReplyDelete