Last night was my first rough night with Kaua. He would not go back to sleep. He got up, I'm guessing around 1:30am, to nurse, which is normal (he gets up 2-3 times a night to nurse). However, after I burped him (or tried to, last night burping wasn't very productive for some reason), when I would go to put him back to bed, he would not stay asleep. Everytime I put him down in his bassinet, he'd get back up in a matter of minutes, squirming, crying and fussing. I know this cry, it means he's got more gas or there's a diaper explosion coming on, so normally, I'd just pick him back up and burp him till one or the other happens. However, nothing would appease him last night. He was just as fussy on my shoulder or wide awake and no burp and no gas and no diaper explosions. Finally, an hour passed of this and I decided to wake DH. He has much better luck with Kaua on his shoulder, I think it's because his shoulder is bigger and less bony and therefore Kaua is more comfortable. DH got him to go to sleep on his shoulder in about 10 minutes, but when he put him down, in a matter of minutes Kaua was back up fussing again. At this point, I told DH to go back to bed b/c he needs his rest for his physical training during the day and I stayed up with Kaua. I swear, I tried nursing him 3 times and burping him and rocking him and all kinds of stuff. Nothing was working. I felt like crying, I was sooo tired and didn't know what to do. Eventually, Kaua did fall back asleep, however he had a mini version of this irratability this morning too. I'm wondering if he has the beginnings of acid reflux or gas? He will be three weeks old tomorrow and I heard this is the time when this kind stuff kicks in.
I'm thinking its not colic because he doesn't really cry. Well, he cries when he's flat on his back. But when we pick him up and put him on our shoulder, he's generally content (doesn't cry, just moves around and fusses once in a while). I hope this doesn't become a trend.
Sorry to hear of the difficulties you are having with Kaua. Although I haven't had any experience with a newborn I know that lots of mothers have similar problems. Keep us posted.
ReplyDeleteMight also be the start fo a growth spurt for a few days - wants to nurse extra, sleep and grumpy. 3 weeks is time for one.
ReplyDeleteOh yeah. CJ started this habit last week too. I don't think it's colic either. I think its more gas and general fussiness. I've started putting him on his stomach during the day to sleep and he sleeps like a dream. At night, I've had some success with swaddling him. Have you tried it? He slept really good last night waking up every 2-3 hours instead of every 45 minutes.
ReplyDeleteIt may be different for Kaua but we had a similar problem with Cade when he was about two weeks old. The solution broke my heart - put him in his room. I wanted him to stay in our room but he slept so much better in his crib. I don't know if Hubby and I kept him from sleeping deeply or what. I've hear some people say babies can smell their mothers if they are that close by.
ReplyDeleteLike I said, he made me terribly sad but I got to sleep for four hour stretches during the night so I couldn't complain.
Cade gets terribly hot in our Snugride 32, too!! I hadn't heard that it was a problem before we bought it but it is sooo true.
Hi B- I have no real advice as I have no experience hands on :) but wanted to send you a hug and hoping things were better last night!
ReplyDeleteB MoM! OH HOW I HAVE MISSED YOU! Our little guys are HERE! KAUA is gorgeous! I still dont have internet at home, but Im at my moms updating and Im about to update my blog! I pray for you EVERYDAY! I hope all is going well and I can get back in touch soon! :)
ReplyDelete