I'm starting to get back pain. Yikers! I'm only halfway there, so if I'm achy now, I'm afraid to imagine how sore I'll be when it gets close to giving birth! At my last appointment, I mentioned my backaches to the doctor and he suggested getting a maternity support band. This is supposed to help support (think - prop up) the tummy so that the back muscles have to work less. My tummy is a little big, but it isn't that big yet, so I'm not sure if that's a factor in my backache yet. Today at work (since I sit at a desk) I brought in two of my couch pillows to prop up behind me to sit on. I read that the best chair position is one with a straight back or a slight incline, and I dont think my work chair has the best back incline. So far, with the pillows, I'm feeling great! I also read that I should stand up and walk around every hour rather than sitting for long periods of time. I also read to try propping my feet up a little on a foot stool when sitting, so I need to go look for something that can act as a foot stool.
Even at night, my back aches a little, even when I get into the recommended sleep position which is on my side with a pillow between my legs. Last night was the first night that the recomended sleep position wasn't comfortable and I found myself tossing and turning a bit to try and relieve the back ache. I'm hoping I was just sore because yesterday my back hurt. (I think I was wearing the wrong kind of shoes...I was wearing those cute pointy toe boots with heals, and think that those may have been the culprit of the backpain).
Anyone out there have any suggestions or remedies that helped ease their backaches? I've been reading about a sleep pregnancy pillow called the snoogle. Is it worth the $50?
I would definitely (and sadly, lol) avoid heels. I learned that with my last pregnancy. I was able to wear them during the first few months without any problems and around 20-22 weeks, I put a pair on and it was the worst idea yet. My back hurt so bad later that day and the next day too. Heels in general throw your body off a little but add a preggo belly and you back doesn't take too kindly to it!
ReplyDeleteI've also found with my current pg that a pillow between the knees doesn't always cut it. At times I place a pillow behind my back as well. It seems to have cut down somewhat on the backache.
Hope that helps and I look forward to keeping up with your pregnancy!
Laura - ICLW
I LOVE my body pillow from Target. $20!!! They have the same at Walmart for like 7 or 1 dollars. I'm not "big" yet, but so far it's worked JUST FINE :)
ReplyDeleteI did not hesitate whenever I craved a hot shower on my lower back. I also recommend a prenatal massage right around now.
ReplyDeleteI never got the pricey body pillow. I used couch cushions and LOVED pillows under my back and belly. You may want to try resting a pillow under your belly- the weight may be straining your lower back already!
Good luck...
Here from LFCA...
ReplyDeleteHappy halfway point!
My back pain is worse when I wear not-ideal shoes or do a lot of standing in a day. Stretching (as much as I can with this belly) is helpful, esp. stretching out my hips.
I'm not able to sit for long periods of time because I'm trying to drink so much water that I have to go to the bathroom around once an hour anyway -- otherwise I'd never get myself up for no reason.
I got a maternity belt but only wear it when I am doing physical stuff like household stuff or pottery. It definitely seems to help though.
Instead of the Snoogle, which only goes on one side of your body, I got a Today's Mom Cozy Comfort Pillow, which goes on both sides of the body like a U. I move a lot in my sleep, and I knew that a Snoogle wouldn't keep me on my side -- but with the u-shaped pillow, having a pillow up against my back helps to prevent me from sleeping on my back.
Good luck!
Pillows everywhere! I needed one under my belly towards the end (while laying on my side) or my side/hips would ache. I would get a box (usually the kind that paper comes in) to put my feet on at work. I only wore heels one day when I was pregnant, and it wasn't bad, but I wouldn't have done it full time. Also, try to stretch out your back frequently (by sitting up as straight as possible and then trying to be even taller). That helps a little with the back ache. Good luck!
ReplyDelete